When passion clashes with practicality

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When passion clashes with practicality

Post  David Ward on Fri May 11, 2012 3:26 am

When what your passion conflicts with the smart, responsible path, which do you choose? I think this is a thing of degrees. Maybe you're passionate about spending all of your money on cocaine and hookers, in which case, I think most people would advise the path of practicality. But what about when the choices aren't so clear cut? For instance, an academic goal which you are passionate about, but has little promise in terms of rewarding you with a career. Would you pursue that passion anyway, or instead pursue something which is more likely to actually give you a way of earning money once you graduate, even though you aren't very excited about it?

And here's to the people who are passionate about practical things with promising careers: Razz

David Ward

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When passion clashes with practicality

Post  Debbie Cameron on Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 am

I tend to go with passion... I turned down lots of full military scholarship because (I guess) that's what my father wanted. Instead I studied biology partially on my own nickel.

Edit: Would I do it again? Hard to say. It's really hard to say. If I'd stayed in the military for four years instead of 14 days, I might be a completely different person...cynical, angrier...less depressed but more bitter. However, I'd be making more money and have full health care...

Yet, I did meet someone who had went on, and he seemed to be envious that I'd dropped out because he didnt feel free.

Ah, who knows? Thousands of doors. Thousands of possibilities.

Debbie Cameron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley Reynolds on Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 pm

You can go either way. If you are good enough and passionate enough about what you do, you can make a living at it.

If you want to major it Art, think about what it really is you want. Do you want a peice of paper that says "Art Major" or do you want to learn and study art? You can do the practical thing and do your passion on the side.

Ashley Reynolds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top