Casual Activity & Community Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I's & E's intimidate each other?

3 posters

Go down

I's & E's intimidate each other? Empty I's & E's intimidate each other?

Post  Thomas Truong Fri May 11, 2012 2:19 am

It occurred to me over a period of time that many introverts are shy and nervous, even intimidated by many extraverts.

But it seems they're mostly unaware that extraverts can find introverts incredibly intimidating too.

Thoughts, anyone? Do you find your opposite difficult to approach or are you nervous of them, and if so or even if not, then why?

Thomas Truong
Admin

https://casualcommunity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I's & E's intimidate each other? Empty Re: I's & E's intimidate each other?

Post  Debbie Cameron Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 am

Thomas Truong wrote:It occurred to me over a period of time that many introverts are shy and nervous, even intimidated by many extraverts.

But it seems they're mostly unaware that extraverts can find introverts incredibly intimidating too.

Thoughts, anyone? Do you find your opposite difficult to approach or are you nervous of them, and if so or even if not, then why?
I'm really only intimidated by Extraverts if they have expectations of me. Because I can't operate at their level... I have a lot less energy. I don't feel intimidated by being engaged in a conversation, but I would definitely feel intimidated by someone trying to pressure me to do something I don't want to, or involving me in something I wasn't comfortable with without my permission, etc.

So it depends on what the Extravert is trying to do.

One thing about me that might put Extraverts off is that I'm very uncomfortable initiating conversations, and thus may give the appearance of disinterest, when I'm actually just trying not to get in the way or interfere with their work (which is part of why I'm afraid to talk to people, I don't trust that I know the signals telling me when it's okay to talk to them and when it's not, so I just always assume it's not unless I see something fairly explicitly indicating otherwise). I'd worry I was being seen as presumptuous if I assumed I was worth the other person's time enough to talk to them. I'm usually more than happy to talk to someone who speaks to me first, though.

I actually doubt I find Extraverts more intimidating than any other types, as long as they're respectful.

Debbie Cameron

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley Reynolds Fri May 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Thomas Truong wrote:It occurred to me over a period of time that many introverts are shy and nervous, even intimidated by many extraverts.

I'm really only intimidated by Extraverts if they have expectations of me. Because I can't operate at their level... I have a lot less energy. I don't feel intimidated by being engaged in a conversation, but I would definitely feel intimidated by someone trying to pressure me to do something I don't want to, or involving me in something I wasn't comfortable with without my permission, etc.

So it depends on what the Extravert is trying to do.

One thing about me that might put Extraverts off is that I'm very uncomfortable initiating conversations, and thus may give the appearance of disinterest, when I'm actually just trying not to get in the way or interfere with their work (which is part of why I'm afraid to talk to people, I don't trust that I know the signals telling me when it's okay to talk to them and when it's not, so I just always assume it's not unless I see something fairly explicitly indicating otherwise). I'd worry I was being seen as presumptuous if I assumed I was worth the other person's time enough to talk to them. I'm usually more than happy to talk to someone who speaks to me first, though.

I actually doubt I find Extraverts more intimidating than any other types, as long as they're respectful.

Ashley Reynolds

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum